Movie Reviews, Theatre in India, Travel trails --- see images of life through Sonali Jha Chatterjee's logbook...

Thursday 2 May 2024

Maidaan (Field)

 Movie Review (Hindi)


I watched Maidaan only on the recommendation of my brother who is a huge football fan. Knowing that my husband would love it too (being another huge fan), we went to watch this movie on the big screen. And thank God we did! I would have missed a gem of a movie. I admit I had no idea that Indian football did make a big name for itself in the 50s and 60s all thanks to the coach and manager of the Indian football team, SA Rahim.


The movie showcases the journey of Rahim in putting India on the map and what a journey. Ajay Devgn, playing Rahim, has excelled himself. His brooding, angry, suffering character was just right. Each of the players seem to have been handpicked due to their likeness to the original players and they played well together. 


The cinematography was what took the cake. The camera compelled me to follow the ball so intimately, it brought each of the matches to life. It was a long movie but never felt like it. Thank you, Amit Sharma for the masterly direction. A big thanks to all the writers and producers for bringing this wonderful piece of history to life.

 Does seem like history though, doesn’t it? 


No comments: