Movie Reviews, Theatre in India, Travel trails --- see images of life through Sonali Jha Chatterjee's logbook...

Monday 6 October 2014

Movie Review (Hindi)

Haider

I was really eager to see this third offering by Vishal Bharadwaj, with his take on Shakespeare's tragedies. I was disappointed. After Maqbool and Omkara, it was only natural for me to have my hopes high, but in vain. I was unable to connect with the characters or the story which is very important for me to be able to enjoy a movie. 
There were flashes of excellent acting when I was really impressed with Shahid Kapur's acting skills, especially when he addresses a crowd with his head shaven for the first time. Tabu had the strongest role but what was her character trying to do? She loves her son, she does not love her husband, she lusts after her brother in law, lives with him and then marries him the moment she comes to know of her husband's death. She loves Haider, her son, but she also suspects he has lost his mental balance. Finally, she realizes that her present husband is no good and blows herself up. Shraddha Kapoor, Haider's love interest was a disappointment. 
The movie left me cold which left me quite depressed. Enjoyed the music though.

No comments: