Movie Reviews, Theatre in India, Travel trails --- see images of life through Sonali Jha Chatterjee's logbook...

Thursday 24 December 2015

Dilwale

Movie Review


I heard a rumour - Shahrukh Khan now-a-days acts in movies only directed by his friends.  A rumour mind you, because I am sure a man who has been in this industry for a long time knows that a good friend and a good director do not necessarily go hand in hand. 
By all means act in mindless movies directed by buddies but please do not release it for the public who might just watch it expecting some kind of entertainment, instead of a two hour plus headache!!!
What is this movie, Dilwale??? Did everyone lose sense of what a story should be or how one delivered dialogues, or move towards more natural acting?? 
The garish over the top set, the strange lack of chemistry between Shahrukh and Kajol, and my total disconnect with the movie led to a very miserable two hours plus. Though I did enjoy one song, and to enjoy that I simply needed to shut my eyes.

So a good hearted mafia don, Kali, (hero), falls for the enemy'daughter, Mira (heroine) who stabs him in the back. Later, she falls in love with Kali and both are happy, when the enemy decides to kill Kali and his father. Showdown-- Mira sees gun in Kali's hand while enemy dies. No explanation required. She shoots Kali. End of Act I. 
Years later...  Raj, our hero, escapes the bullet and works as a car modifier, hero's 'mentally retarded' brother, (I thought he was) falls for girl who turns out to be Mira's sister. In between, Boman 'King' Irani pops in as a comic drug lord.
What a story!! And yes, the pictuesque locales with the cutout poses by the lead pair is really really jaded.
Another mistake I made -- I saw this movie a day after I enjoyed Bajirao Mastani.

Shahrukh, please have a little consideration for your audience. Maybe there are a few who are still waiting for a Chak de or Swadesh.

No comments: